French Doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I need to replace a UPVC double glazed sliding patio door with a UPVC set of opening French Doors.

I've had a good look around and found a set at a reasonable price which look good.

My problem is that they all seem to be a standard size which the closest to mine is 1790x2090 , it then says a 5mm gap is required around the edge which basically makes it 1800x2100

I've measured the hole in the wall and it is 1760*2100 so I'm 40mm to narrow.

Do they have any sort of adjustment to allow for this or is it just not going to fit?

If it isn't going to fit can I just make the hole wider by 2 cm on each side, just through the outside brick and then the frame will mostly be hidden on the inside - is that OK?

Any other tips whilst I'm at it?

Sponsored Links
Do they have any sort of adjustment to allow for this or is it just not going to fit?
No the door has to be sized for the opening; sounds like your looking at DIY shed ready made doors; you need to chose wisely as the quality (reflected by the price) of some is not that good. You can order windows/doors any size you need but a good quality unit that size will cost between £650 - £900 depending on how much discount you can negotiate.
If it isn't going to fit can I just make the hole wider by 2 cm on each side, just through the outside brick and then the frame will mostly be hidden on the inside - is that OK?
No; the external wall will be structural & widening it will probably require a larger lintel above; it will also look a pigs ear unless you do it right!
Any other tips whilst I'm at it?
Unfortunately, replacing the door is notiyable work (to your local council) so you either have use either a FENSA registered company or get certificate of compliance form your local council Building Control (fee involved); if you don’t have one you may have problems when you come to sell the property. It may be better if you went to several local companies & get some quotes for it to be done properly with a guarantee &, more importantly, that certificate of compliance!

I've looked at the cheapo doors and am tempted, the cheapest being just under £320 from Trade Depot.

Anybody tried one of them? Are they awful or are they OK.

I've had a quote from safestyle who would come and fit it and everything for £1044, which didn't seem a bad price but it was over 3 times as much.

Wickes are £420 for the same size/type.

I would have thought the lintel would be wide enough to take 2 cm off each side, but I couldn't be 100% sure until I take the old one out

Sponsored Links
So do you think the safestyle windows will be of decent quality? And it seems a good price, do you agree?

Price is usually (but not always) indicative of quality &, personally, I would never buy a product unseen. The quality of the hinges, locks & frame construction is all important but good installation, particularly with wide French doors (I have 4 sets), is critical. I personally have Rehau units & Swift is another of similar quality I’m familiar with but there are others, you just have to do the rounds & compare what you see. Safestyle is not one I’m familiar with & I don’t think the price you’ve been quoted is particularly cheap. Have a look through the archive as there are many posts on what to look for when choosing window products & even specific product recommendations.

I would suggest you get at least 3 more quotes from small local installers (based on recommendation if you can) & let each of them know your getting other quotes. IMO these guys are always a better bet than large Nationals; they invariably use the same products (very few companies make their own windows anymore), have to rely on good recommendations for repeat business & are more competitive; but buying just one set off doors will give you limited bargaining power!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back