Yet another door thread - doors all different sizes!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I've been refurbishing a house since Novemeber (it was really, really bad) and I'm near completion, in fact we're moving in June 14th. So I'm now looking to fit the internal doors. However, this place was built in 1912, and is ridiculously mis-shapen inside. I need to fit 6 internal doors, however not one is the same size. They are as follows:
Master Bedroom 81.5 X 200.0 X 3.5
Spare Room 76.9 X 203.0 X 3.5
Hall 81.4 X 202.5 X 35
Cupboard 71.5 X 192.5 (depth irrelevant)
Kitchen 80.4 X 201.0 X 3.5
Bathroom (no frame in this gap yet) 77.7 X 195.8

Now, I'm very very skint and was hoping to fit moulded doors for cheapness, however as I understand it you can only trim 6mm from bottom and 4mm from each side. And the closest sizes I can find (in the xljoinery catalogue) is 2032 x 813 x 35 for Master, Spare, Hall and Kitchen, and then 1981 x 711 x 35 for the Cupboard and Bathroom (once the frame is in). Thing is, I doubt I can trim moulded doors to these sizes. Has anyone any suggestions for a solution ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Here’s a little trick I’ve used where it’s been necessary to trim the height of the door beyond the maximum recommended but the bit you trim off needs to be at least 8mm.

The solid timber insert in the bottom of the door is around 10mm thick; trim the bottom of the door to size with a circular saw, take the off cut & remove the face moulding from each side & the cross sectional bits of the timber frame from each end (it pulls off fairly easy but you may need to dress it with a sharp chisel); pull any remnants of the frame from the bottom of the door, glue the bit of timber back into the bottom of the door with PVA, clamp it up & leave it overnight. I’ve used this method very successfully to shorten doors way below the recommended maximum height but I’ve not tried it on the width; & even if it’s possible, it may make the door look odd.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back