Double glazing misting up query .

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,
I've got double glazing in wooden frames, and one of the units is misting up between the glass.
I have read up on fitting new units into wooden frames, but before I go to the expense and effort of replacing it, can anyone tell me if I could de-mist the unit myself?

Sponsored Links
No you can't. Once the seal has gone it's gone. Changing the unit is pretty cheap and pretty easy. Prise the beads off, push the window out (with care) and then put the new one back in with silicone sealant then re-bead. Job done. Doddle.

Changing the sealed unit is the only real cure; there are companies that advertise a de-misting service but the general consensus is that it doesn’t really work & at very best is only a temporary fix.

As a DIYer, I have had to do this in the past and, have been surprised how low (relatively) is the cost of a replacement DG unit. There is a glazing Company near to me who will order them to any size, with only a one week wait for delivery. I think that it is a fairly competitive business these days and prices are surprisingly low.

Sponsored Links
thanks ALL of you for the input...
I've seen de-misting service ads. and thought about doing that myself but wasnt sure.. thanks..
Checked a few DG suppliers near me, will change the unit while the weather is good ... thanks again all!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back