Bricklaying in the rain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I was wondering if it was ok to continue laying blocks for my wall in light rainy conditions or if this would be dtrimental to the finished wall.

Intermittent showers are forcast all weekend with us so if i could lay some blocks and then stop during the rainy spells and cover work and mortar with plastic sheet would this be ok?

Also how long would it take for te mortar to be unworkable?

thanks
Trevor

Sponsored Links
The rain is not the probelm.

The issue is whether the rain washes out the mortar and stains the wall. And the increased likeliness of efflorescence from saturated bricks

Cover the wall, the stacks of unlaid bricks, and the unused mortar.

Mortar is useable for anything upto 3/4 hour

I'm just sitting laying brickwork in the rain,
feel the power of the rain,
making the garden grow..

The Bretheren say,
The drystone wall that surrounds the universe requires no mortar.
No architect of confusion is needed by the bretheren of the wall.
Honest sons of toil should join the bootherhood.

Not so much a religion, more a bunch of cults.

Sponsored Links
the wall is only a block retaining wall which will eventually be covered so not bothered about staining. as long as all the mortar does not get washed out!

masonry actually benefits from being laid wet. it will be stronger, albeit messier. :eek: ;)

The old time brickies used to soak their bricks so the mortar cured before it dried out.

Mortar is useable for anything upto 3/4 hour[/quote]

unless of course its ready mix with a retarder in it then upto 72 hrs :LOL:

thanks for replies all....i finally managed to get the first course laid yesterday and covered before the rain came on again...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back