Decking board width question.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For my first deck that i'm half way through building I went to my local reclamation yard and picked 20 lengths of decking board.

I've now used these up and need to buy some more, however, I measured the width of the board and now can't seem to find anyone who stocks it.

It seems the most common width sold is 144mm. Whereas mine is 110mm.

Should I be able to get 110mm? I've checked B&Q and my local large timber store but with no luck.

My deck is half-laid and looks great.

Any suggestions or advice is most welcome.

Sponsored Links
ah forward planning!

yes you can get decking in that size, most decent timber suppliers should be able to sort you out, rather than builders merchants. Forget the likes of b and q and wickes etc, there stuff is ****e

Thermo wrote:
Forget the likes of b and q and wickes etc, there stuff is s***te

Appreciating the fact that it is usually overpriced, and thinner than other suppliers, could I ask Thermo to elaborate on that?

Surely treated softwood decking is treated softwood decking wherever you buy it?

Grateful to hear Thermo's (and others) comments!!

Cheers

Nick

go and get a board from wickes and a board from a decent supplier, that will give you all the answers you need.

Sponsored Links
Thermo wrote:
Forget the likes of b and q and wickes etc, there stuff is s***te

Appreciating the fact that it is usually overpriced, and thinner than other suppliers, could I ask Thermo to elaborate on that?

Surely treated softwood decking is treated softwood decking wherever you buy it?

Grateful to hear Thermo's (and others) comments!!

Cheers

Nick

Consistency of
finish
straightness
width
grain
knots

etc etc

decent timber yards will tend to buy 1st or 2nd quality timber, builders merchants 2nd quality. Wickes etc tend to but 3rd quality. You only have to look at the way it is stored, handled, etc etc to see many of the differences wabbitpoo has highlighted

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back