Moving a pond?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a well-established pond right in the middle of my garden. I was hoping to be able to move it more towards the end to allow me to do more with the reset of the garden.

Is this realistic? It appears to be made from a thick plastic sheet, with stones around the edge to hold everything in place.

Will I need to drain the whole thing (how??) and re-fill it or do you think its possible to lift the whole thing out by the plastic sheet?

Sponsored Links
Water weighs 10lbs per gallon so unless you are incredibly large - I'm thinking king kong - its not practical.

Seems easier to build a brand new pond transfer the fish and go from there.

yep I would dig a new one and the soil can be used to fill the old one ;)

Depending on the size of the pond, for emptying you can use buckets or hire a pump to pump the water out if it is a large pond, make sure the pump has a strainer though so you don't suck out some of the fish lol, if you sit down and think about it, you can dig your new pond then when ready empty the water into it from your old pond or else you may have to wait for any fresh or new water to condition before putting in the fish, then when thats done use the soil to fill in your old pond...simple!

Do you have fish in the pond? if so I would put the into a storage tank for a day or 2, remove all plants etc

Empty the pond using a pump as best you can, any remaining water can soak away when you remove the liner. The liner shouldnt really be used again in a new pond so you can pierce holes at bottom to soak remaining water away

Dig new pond out and use the soil to fill in the old pond, then fit a new liner to new pond, and thats it really

Sponsored Links
although some what tedious a bucket will be better since ther may be tadpoles and other such small animals. the plastic is actually a pond liner you may find this of use

Thanks for all the responses. There are no fish in the pond, but lots of other wildlife (frogs, water snails, even newts I think) so I don't want to disturb them too much if possible.

There are lots of nice pond-type plants and flowers that grow around the edge of the pond. I'm a complete gardening novice - do you think I'll be able to lift some and re-plant them at the new site if I'm careful with them?

FYI, I believe some breeds of newt (how many are there?) are legally protected, meaning you are liable to be prosecuted if you destroy their habitat. Now you've mentioned it in public.....

Yep, the great crested newt is protected, but I am sure that it will be ok to relocate them as you are not technically destroying their environment, merely moving it a few yards or so but I would get in touch with your local council and wildlife conservation peeps they may be able to help and advise you in this quest seeing as there are newts in the pond.

As for the plants yes they can be relocated with no major problems most aquatic plants are quite tolerant and if you use the same water like I suggested then there should be no real problems in re-establishing the new pond fairly quickly

I shouldn't worry about about the newts, as said you are not depriving them of a home, you are only moving it.

as also said make the new pond then move everything, tkae as much pond water over as you can.

the sludge you will find in the bottom of the pond leave it by the side of the new pond, anything living in it can then go back to the new pond.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back