Buying new upvc windows and doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was looking at buying some windows and doors.

I am interested in a composite upvc door. I have seen some filled with laminated wood and others that are foam filled. Which is better?

Also I saw some narrow profile windows, and wondered if these are as strong and durable as normal ones?

And one last question, should I get trickle vents installing or can I just open the window when I want ventilation?

Sponsored Links
Fitting replacement windows & doors is notifyable work. Whatever you install must comply with minimum standards of thermal insulation & safety as defined by current Building Regulations; & in new builds or extensions, ventilation & escape from fire.

They must also be installed by either a registered installer (FENSA) or inspected by your local authority (fee involved) who will (hopefully) issue a compliance certificate; no compliance certificate could give problems when you come to sell.

Construction is generally a question of personal preference & the budget you have. Look through the archive posts, there are many containing information on what you can & can’t do, how to choose windows & doors & help provide the answers to your questions. Contrary to what some will tell you, you don’t have to install trickle vents or fire escapes in existing buildings as long as you don’t make the situation any worse than it was previously; although in some cases both may be advisable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back