creosote on garage!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My father recently painted our garage, which is quite close to our house, with a tin of creosote he got from a farmer. The stuff stinks. This was a few weeks ago, and the smell is still very potent. I am rather concerned about this, as I keep my dogs in a kennel right next to this garage, and they are breathing in these fumes. My father refuses to acknowledge that there are any fumes, and as a result, will not listen to me when I tell him he must to something. What can we do to stop this smell?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
wait a few months and it will go off.

You might consider moving the kennels until then.

Maisiemay,

Is this real creosote or a newer syththtic version.

If it is "old skool" creosote using this is against the law due to it being a carcogen.

Rico

Yes, it is the real deal. I am deeply concerned - I really don't know what to do. He claims he never knew. There is no way of moving these kennels - they are fixed, and have substantial runs etc.

What can we do to seal this stuff? He simply painted it on, and left it. When it gets hot, it rises to the surface and stinks. I am concerned about the health aspects for myself and my animals.

There must be something that can be done to eliminate this smell, and make it safe to be around. I cannot contact environmental health, as that will get my father into trouble; so I would appreciate advice on sealing this stuff in

Thank you

Sponsored Links
it will evaporate away. the warmer it is the faster. If you try to seal it e.g. by tacking polythene sheet to it, it will either escape on the other side (more slowly) or if you seal it totally, it will stay wet until one day it is uncovered.

Not much will evaporate at night when it is colder.

Although it was banned for domestic use on health grounds (e.g. if it gets into the ground and contaminates water) I understand that the rates of disease including cancer were no higher in people who worked in creosote factories or used it in wood-preserving jobs than in the general population, so I don't think that the smell of it is harmful. You would not want to chew it though. Laboratory animals were tested by feeding it to them, or repeatedly applying strong doses to their skin over a lifetime, which was found to be harmful.

You can read more about it on http://www.hse.gov.uk/biocides/copr/creosote.htm#18
as it is used in the oipen air, concentrations will not be high. You might consider using a plastic sheet barrier on the side nearest the kennels, but preferably allow the wood to be exposed to the air so it dries out faster.

Would using some kind of sealing wood primer help at all? I have been reading that aluminium wood primer effectively covers creosote. Would this also seal in the fumes that are coming off it?

it would be a lot of work and wastefully expensive. I still say tack some plastic sheet to it if you really want to have a barrier to the fumes.

the aluminium primer is to stop it bleeding through a paint finish, not for sealing in the evaporating solvents.

only sure way is to change the fence.

I think you are worrying about nothing, what they also dont say is cresote lasts much longer than anything else

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back