Suddenly stiff kitchen tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First time poster here, and this might be an incredibly basic question, but I hope someone can help (without laughing too much!)

In the last 4-5 days the hot water tap in my kitchen has become incredibly stiff, in the last day or so it has been a real battle to turn on and off at all. The cold water tap doesn't seem to be any different than usual. Nothing out of the ordinary has happened to my knowledge, it's just suddenly got stuck.

I have no technical knowledge to explain things properly, but it is a mixer tap with the giraffe neck spout and usual round taps on either side at the base. I'm really not sure how old it is, but definitely more than 3 years, probably not more than 10.

Any ideas on how to fix it? It seems way too trivial to call a plumber out for, but I don't know what it needs? Oil? A large wrench?

thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Turn the water off, take the tap apart, splash some descaler over the moving bits and make them move in it, rinse, grease with silicone grease and put a new washer on, reassemble. Done.

Gooooooooooooooooooooodddddddddddddd morrrrrrrrrrnnnnnnnnnnnniiiiiiiinggggggggg vietengland

Sponsored Links
just trade it in for a new fresh model. Much more satisfying than trying to fix up the problems of the old one.

Thanks for your advice ChrisR and htgeng. PEDANTICVINDICTIVEMAN will be thrilled to hear that I don't have a big enough wrench to take the tap off - I took a guess that that was the way to take a tap apart - so tomorrow I guess I'll either have to buy a bigger tool, or a new tap. I'm slightly dubious about buying a new tap as I'll then have to come back here and get step-by-step instructions on how to fit it. Or call a plumber. Or just stop washing-up.

Thanks again for your help, much appreciated :)

Bet it's from B & Q. Our hot tap has done this twice appaently it's the cartridge inside which you just have to take to the plumbers merchants, so that you can get the same thing. It was a quick easy job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back