BT pole

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I intend to landscape my back garden and incude some decking near the bottom fence. Howerver there is this big ugly wooden BT pole about 5 meters high, it feeds 6 overhead cables to other houses accept mine I don't have BT in my house :LOL: has anyone had experince in getting this pole removed from their property. How difficult, time, and cost to me if any,
Thanks Paul.

Sponsored Links
couple of £k i would have thought, why not ask bt to be sure?

I think (i am not sure) that its a case of, "well if you dont like it you can paint it to hide it but tough luck"

something to do with statutory services, like i said i am not 100% sure though :cry:

Sponsored Links
BT MAY MOVE IT FOR FREE, if you contact 150 & place an order for a survey.
Are you on a newish estate?

The reason I ask is that the poles are normally sited in the pavement to the front of properties & not in the customers rear garden (think it's common in Scotland for them to be in the read garden).
It may be that when the site was being built, Bt planted a temporary pole to give servic to builders prtacabins & a few houses etc.
If so, then I think they are obliged to move it free of charge.

Let me know how u get on

BT MAY MOVE IT FOR FREE, if you contact 150 & place an order for a survey.
Are you on a newish estate?

The reason I ask is that the poles are normally sited in the pavement to the front of properties & not in the customers rear garden (think it's common in Scotland for them to be in the read garden).
It may be that when the site was being built, Bt planted a temporary pole to give servic to builders prtacabins & a few houses etc.
If so, then I think they are obliged to move it free of charge.

Let me know how u get on

Hi No its a ex local council in Glasgow (Kirkintilloch) about 1950s build
Been on to BT, they said they would send someone out to have look, even gave me a ref no. What they have said over the phone is that they may ask someone else to take :confused: They did not mention any cost, I did not ask either ;) I'll let you know how I get on.

Can't you cut through it, remove the bottom part, and leave the top bit where it is.... like in Tom and Jerry? :mrgreen:

Can't you cut through it, remove the bottom part, and leave the top bit where it is.... like in Tom and Jerry? :mrgreen:

Or buy an Acme stick on hole (large size). Attach it to the pole and voila!

But don't order the instant train tunnel entrance, beloved of coyotes everywhere: I did that once and ended up with the 2:15 from St Pancras in the potting shed.

I finally got a visit today from BT. (After a few phone calls emails,and finally a compliants proceedure done the trick) that was just to get a visit from them :(
Anyway the chap that came said he would contact my local planning office and get back to me :eek: In the mean time he asked me the check my misives, I do not have that I presume it is like the land registry document I received when purchased the house no mention of telephone poles only mentions common sewers, electric cables, that i need to give access to these services when required.

the utilities companies I have worked for have a terrible problem with Wayleaves, they are mostly lost or mis-filed. I doubt BT can find any evidence of a contract giving them the right to have a pole in your land.

If all fails plant some fast growing ivy at the base and wait for it to take over and hide it. :rolleyes:

I doubt BT can find any evidence of a contract giving them the right to have a pole in your land.

If that is the case, then i would start taking a saw too it.. :)

unless they want to move it to the back of the garden, maybe in the far corner.. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back