Neighbours extension causing me a damp concrete floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My neighbours have had an extension built and due to the builders not being clever they managed to flood the ground floor.

We removed the carpet, and left the concrete floor to dry, it's now three weeks since the flooding and although 75% of the floor is dry in certain areas the floor keeps on getting damp especially after it rains.

The builder had to dig a metre deep foundation inspection hole which is just next to my front door. This was exposed for about a week while waiting for building control, until they concrete filled it, this was about the time of the flooding and it rained hard that week.

Firstly, how long should I wait for the floor to dry out?

And secondly how do I go about resolving this, do I contact building control, their insurance company or my insurance company?

The reason I ask is that I made the claim for the carpet on my contents insurance (first time ever) and have found out to my cost that it's not like car insurance were someone else might be to blame, so I'm already £100 down.

Any pointers?

Dave

Sponsored Links
there's a lot in this and it's potentially a loose loose situation.

in answer to the drying out question - it's a surprisingly long time - i work on 1 month per inch of concrete depth so potentially say 4 months.

what is of concern is that certain areas keep getting damp - this clearly should not happen.

i would speak to the neighbour in the 1st case gently to get their help in resolving - you certainly need to get the builders view on what's causing the continuing damp patches.

after that i would contact building control - i feel you will need to persevere as it's not what they like to get involved with. the inspector should be able confirm if the builders view is reasonable.

After that i'm not sure who would be liable other than the neighbour’s builder - i can't imagine the neighbours insurance covering any damage. i think you would have to get legal advice. i think a call to the local CAB the 1st thing to do.

Jerry, thanks for your comments.

I called Building Control, and I wished I hadn't - they did inspire me with confidence at all.

When I explained the problem the chap's response was that he's not due round for another week or so. I asked when? His response - I haven't decided yet? The bloke didn't even want to take my telephone number, so I could be there to show him the problem.

Next port of call is the builders insurance broker - I've managed to contact the Freeholder and they have a copy of the builders insurance, maybe they will take a little more action.

i'm afraid that's building control for u – they are there to see that the regs are complied with not sort domestic problems - they are generally pretty good though and as long as you keep at them nicely u should be able to fix up to meet with him and get his views.

the reason for the vagueness on timing of next visit is they don't sort their visits out until on the day. i think u will will just need to keep giving them a ring - make it clear u just want his thoughts on what might be wrong - he will not give any official position - it's not his job (your just wanting to get background understanding - an explanation of what work has been carried out)

the main thrust has got to be with the neighbour and the builder himself - you are more likely to get progress by meeting them face to face and explaining the difficulties/problem and getting them to say what they can do to help (your relying on there goodwill i know its hard as it's not your fault the problems occurred but count to 10 - this is the best option if you can get them to acknowledge they can do something to put things right it's the best way).

i would also go/phone the citizen advice bureau.

claiming on the insurance for me is the last resort unless u feel this is the only wayforward.

make sure you stay calm and work through it a bit at a time. the main thing is to keep at it - most of the time there is a tendency for people to believe the injured party will get tired and go away.

i'd take a few pictures if you think it might be worth it for future use.

Sponsored Links
Have uploaded some images to highlight the problem.

You can see that the builders knocked down the rear of the property and put the earth from the foundation inspection hole to slope towards the property, meaning the all the rain from the removed gutter pipes ran directly back into the shop or into the inspection hole on the 27th May. Please note the outside public toilet, and the industry standard safety guard againist my two year old falling into the meter deep foundation inspection hole.

Plus I took a photo tonight of the water rising through the concrete floor in our adjoning hallway.

Dave[/img]

thanks for pics - adds clarity to the nightmare for sure. i presume the builder has move the rubble away the blocked up doorway (pic 1 RHS) since the incident.

the volume of water from the gutter will be enormous and for sure will as you say have resulted in a lot of damp - the outlet should have been temp re routed somewhere away from the living areas ie down the garden.

i'm not sure where the stair is in relation to the outside walls - i raise this as the damp appears near the 1st riser which would normally be inwards ie away from the external walls - this would suggest water is still rising through the floor or gaining entry via a route not detected.

the good news i believe is that once the work is complete life & the damp will return to normal. i feel you need to keep an eye on the builder and try to get a relationship with him so that you can point out any potential issues in the future before they become so difficult. i appreciate you should not have to do this - but i'm afraid it's life.

on the guarding i suggest you ask the builder for trellis fencing and if it's not forthcoming ring building control and demand a safety inspection - what u have is not legal. The trouble is you are dependent on the goodwill to a certain extent of the builder and such action would not help in the long run – so ask nicely.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back