fit my own

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If I fit my own window I either need to reigster with Fensa or inform LABC.
Is this correct?

1/ Properly &

2/ in practice .

would I get away with it when selling my house?

Sponsored Links
If I fit my own window I either need to reigster with Fensa or inform LABC. Is this correct?
You don’t register with FENSA, you get either a FENSA registered company to install the window or you DIY notify your LABC & they come & inspect it; there is a charge of £60 - £70. Both the window & its installation must comply with current building regulations.
1/ Properly &
2/ in practice .
:?: Not sure what you mean; that’s the rules, it’s up to you if you follow them or not.
would I get away with it when selling my house?
Not without lying on the solicitors question form; this is a standard list of questions you have to answer from the buyer’s solicitor. One of the questions asks specifically if any notifyable works have be carried out on the property & if so, to provide the necessary compliance paperwork. If you can’t provide the paperwork, your buyer’s mortgage company may not lend the money for the purchase & so you could loose the sale. If you lie & get found out, you could end up in a civil court paying damages! :cry:

There are other ways; one involves paying for an independent indemnity & the other involves your LABC undertaking a retrospective compliance survey but, again, both these will be more expensive than if you had followed procedure in the first place & are usually used when work has been done out of ignorance but that hardly applies in this case! It may only be one window but if you get caught out, it sort of begs the question “how much other notifyable work has he done & lied about”, electrics? gas? Knocking holes in supporting walls? A lot of perspective buyers will run a mile if they think there the house has been bodged even if it hasn’t!

In practice, you would just fit them. And the chances of them being picked up on any sale are few unless you sell the following week after fitting.

I don't think that you can buy a plastic window and DG unit that does not conform, so what is the point of the application? :rolleyes:

In practice, you would just fit them. And the chances of them being picked up on any sale are few unless you sell the following week after fitting.
Just stating how it is; it’s down to individuals to decide if lying & chancing their arm doesn’t bother them. Most if not all glazing units have dates stamped in between the glass so it’s not that difficult to get caught out & what if the unit is different to the others; surveyors aren’t stupid!

Classic case of double standards; I can’t imagine a single person who wouldn’t be totally pi**ed off if they found out the seller had lied on their purchasers questionnaire when they bought the property; I certainly would be. I would also want to find out if they had lied about anything else & be determined to create as many problems for them as I possibly could! :evil:
I don't think that you can buy a plastic window and DG unit that does not conform, so what is the point of the application? :rolleyes:
I don’t think you can either from bona fide manufacturer or supplier. But what about second hand or Flea Bay? Our local auction house holds weekly sales of anything & everything & they regularly sell new units cheaply "under the hammer" some of which are clearly not compliant with current standards; old stock from somewhere I presume!

Sponsored Links
The point I'm really making is that bringing window replacement under building control is a complete waste of time and serves little purpose.

You would be hard pressed to get any decent second hand windows that do not conform to current regs (windows conformed to current regs years before the regs came out)

Even if you fit a new window which does not conform to todays standards but is the same as existing windows, then what is wrong with that in real terms?

But yes, a seller should not lie when asked, but its for the buyer to pose the questions not the seller to tell all unless asked.

Even if modern windows are fitted without approval or self certification then this would do little to prevent the sale.

^woody^";p="932835 said:
The point I'm really making is that bringing window replacement under building control is a complete waste of time and serves little purpose.

Until the house catches fire maybe, and a diy window that should have allowed access or escape has been replaced with a cheap one with only a small top light opener.

Is this any different to a house having an existing window with only a small top opener and catching fire?

No Woody you are right , what I meant was an existing access or escape point, being no longer available due to a cheaper diy fitted one and the consequences if it were ever needed and no longer there.

No Woody you are right , what I meant was an existing access or escape point, being no longer available due to a cheaper diy fitted one and the consequences if it were ever needed and no longer there.
But you’re not allowed to do that & I supose it's one reason why such work is now notifyable. BR’s only require “escape windows” for new builds; the only requirement for replacement windows is that means of escape is no worse than it was before; same applies to trickle vents.

To Woody.
I don’t agree with much of the current building legislation we are now stuck with & it’s always going to get worse. Like most of the other carp dreamt up by the fat boy’s department (ODPM) since 2000, it's a PITA; but seems to be the sort of society this government is hell bent on creating! :rolleyes: It has caused me (& probably many others) endless pain & much expense having to employ “Trade cowboys” for certain types of work who are clearly less competent than I am but they have a bit of paper that proves they are “competent” (joke :eek:); I generally have to watch them like a hawk to ensure they do it right :evil:. I'm am honest & so follow the rules of society but I suspect this may be regarded by many as simply being a mug! :rolleyes:

Your right, Richard, the rules are the rules and should be followed. They are there to make construction safer so that we don't "all do our own thing" and everyone works to the same standard.

However in this context, I prefer a more pragmatic approach. "If I do this this way, what harm will come?"

So if the OP gets a window made (to the same spec as a company would) and fits it (to the same standard as a fitter would) then what will be the end result?

Its the same throughout the industry - if work is done to the required standard - albeit without the "correct" application or certification then so what? Does that make the work wrong or dangerous? No.

OK, this thinking can't be transposed to all building work, but for a domestic property the only person that it affects is the householder.

Yes, one has to make a conscience call .. "Is this right to not follow the rules?". But if enough people don't agree with the rules ..... break the rules ..... break the law, then the rule or the law is wrong and should be changed.

The building regs are much illconcieved for domestic work ..... be it Part P and not being able to do wiring, Part L1 and windows, Part M and needing new sockets higher than the others in the house you name it, there is little actual benefit in a lot of the current b/regs.

Should we blindly adhere to them, or should we oppose them? Perhaps a topic for another thread. lol

The building regs are much illconcieved for domestic work ..... be it Part P and not being able to do wiring, Part L1 and windows, Part M and needing new sockets higher than the others in the house you name it, there is little actual benefit in a lot of the current b/regs.
My point exactly & there are many, many more examples!
Should we blindly adhere to them, or should we oppose them?
No; but the way this type of legislation is introduced, the public never get the opportunity to oppose it. The latest gem on offer will probably see me cutting down all the many mature & beautiful trees I have in my front & back gardens in a couple of years because I just won’t be able to afford to get them inspected every 3 years by yet another “licensed & competent person”; still at least I’ll be able to offset the now ridiculous cost of heating oil & electricity by recycling them through the wood burner! :cry:

The odds are quickly being stacked against those who don’t conform. All I ever do is advise the situation as it is & I must confess that I dont always follow my own advice; :oops: but sometimes it just isn't worth the hassle of being caught out; it’s up to the individual to decide, using their informed judgement. But the net is slowly being tightened & is already quiet tight in some areas which is also providing a very lucrative, income by way of “legalising” work done by folks who didn’t really have a clue such regulations existed or to put right work done by “trade cowboys”, some of whom will actually have that important bit of paper which proves they are “competent” & licenses them to do the work in the first place! :evil:
Perhaps a topic for another thread. Lol
I’ll leave that one to you I think! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back