Planning control - job too small?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've been lurking on here for a good while and had a quick question.

We live in a Merton council area and checking their BCO site it seems all sorts of trivial changes to houses are applied for with them.

No doubt the council would like everyone to run every bit of work thru them for the revenue (oh yeah and safety ;) but I was wondering what sort of work is not required to be run by them?

For example if I take down a none-load bearing internal wall or a chimney breast or move an internal door, would all those need to be approved with them? - I understand it may vary from council to council but I'm after some general advise.

Thanks

Chas

Sponsored Links
B/regs are national and do not vary between councils

You can [normally] remove a non load bearing wall between similar rooms without permission. Sometimes fire-precautions come into play and the work becomes notifiable

Removal of a chimney brest is structural work and requires permission

Moving a doorway requires permission if the wall is load-bearing, otherwise it does not

Don’t confuse planning permission with Building Regulations; if you delve deeper into that website link, you’ll find a guide to which will tell you exactly what you can & can’t do without going through you LABC (Building Regs.). Some may seem (& probably are) silly but they are basically there to stop ill informed judgements & mistakes that could literally bring your house down! :rolleyes:

If not, post what you want to do & we’ll tell you if you need BR’s! ;)

So are you a chav or a toff? (Mitcham or Wimbledon?? :LOL: )

-------------------------------------------

Anyway, consult with them if you're not sure. Although that probably won't work in your favour if you ignore their advice and plead ignorance at a later date when your roof falls in and you get done for scaring the neighbours koi.

Sponsored Links
Cheers woody and Richard. planningportal.gov.uk has a list of jobs and breaks down the planning permission and building regs needed for each.

Hey Deluks, Chas is no Chav... :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back