Concrete Slab base for garage ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi im gonna be constructing my double garage soon and have decided to go cheap and cheerful way of slabing it for the time being as im capable of doing that.just wondering how deep i need to dig?and how thick do the slabs need to be?am i correct in saying that all i need to do is dig down and then add a couple of inches of sand/cement mix and put the slabs in??

Or would i be better digging down and filling it with 100mm hardcore,1200dpm then 50mm cement/sand and then paving slabs fitted??

thanks J

Sponsored Links
This should give you some idea, more details here

xs200.gif

i]The keeled garage slab cross-section is provided as an example of a typical detail and NOT a recommendation.
Pre-fabricated sectional garages can often be erected on a simple 150mm slab, such as that shown above; this keeled slab is the type of raft foundation that may be used with a single brick construction garage. [/i]

xs150gb.gif

garageBase.gif

Hi, Jimmy,
I don't understand what you are proposing to do here.
If you want to build a double garage then it needs to be on a resonably substantial concrete base at least.
Dig out about one foot all round bigger than the garage is going to be, and the ground will dictate how deep, but as an absolute minimum go down at least a foot below finished path. (and that is a minimum guide).
The edges of the area need to be deeper than the middle as they will carry the walls.
depending on the makeup of the ground will depend on what and how you proceed from there.
To be fair, it doesn't sound like you know what you are doing, and I'd get a builder in if I were you.

ive just got a pre fabricated garage i dont intend to build one just erect it on a spare bit of land i have for as cheap as possible

Sponsored Links
Oh, Ok Jimmy, I didn't think of a double being a prefab.
doesn't the kit come with any suggestions about the base construction?
I would think you still need a concrete base rather than just slabs on drylean.
That would be ok for a wooden garden shed for example, but a DG sounds like you intend something biggish to go in it.
If it's a car(s) or machinery, then I'd have a think about making a decent base if I were you.
Regards Alan D.

no nothing big just bog standard hatch back cars and i also restore classic cars but no heavy things like vans or anything like that.plus atm im a big short on cash so was just gonna use the slabs as a temporary thing until i pick up some more cash then ill pay someone to do a full concrete base.

Save yourself some grief and money, and do it right first time mate.
;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back