Money before starting work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I am having a bathroom refurbished and found a bathroom fitter who has provided a good quote, can start in about three weeks and seems good. He has asked for 25% of the money upfront 'to buy materials', with a further 50% payable on commencement and then the final 25% on completion. I can understand the 50% payable on commencement it is the 25% prior to starting that I find difficult to understand - is this a usual payment condition?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
No it's not. He's not even got the money to buy materials so he's a desperado. Is he a Brit? Either way, I'd steer clear of him if I were you. If he was any good he'd have a few bob in the bank to buy the materials with. Obviously he has no work so is probably rubbish.

gary - the 'good' guys are booked-up, usually for months. You say he "seems good" - how do you know; just because he can provide a 'good' quote (does that means cheap(ish) or the page was well laid-out), or that he was personable when you met him? Was he recommended, have you seen examples of his work, or did you get his name from the classifieds, etc, etc? Any reputable guy on a refurbishment will (as joe says) have the resources to buy materials, so I say stay clear of this bloke unless he changes his demands AND you've seen his work. Stage payments are, in my opinion, for large contracts not bathroom refurbishments; but maybe you're having a Holywood set-up installed with bubble-tubs, wet rooms, dancing girls, etc.

Anyway, if you go with him say you'll only pay him at the end of the job; if at anytime his work looks iffy then tell him to leave. Loads of folks get stung by the money-up-front-merchants.

we only ask for a 'cash flow' once we are on site and the job has started.

it makes the job go even quicker.

i do not receive personal payment until the first stage is passed by building control.

Sponsored Links
we only ask for a 'cash flow' once we are on site and the job has started.

it makes the job go even quicker.

i do not receive personal payment until the first stage is passed by building control.

He wasn't asking about you. Or building control.

He wasn't asking about you. Or building control.

no joe he wasn't, quite true.

the point i was making is customers should at least see some value in the work of the people being hired, before committing any cash.

it is not always possible i know, but blindly committing large sums of money prior to even a start date is risky and bordering on the foolish.

I am a bathroom fitter and I only ever ask for money if I am supplying the suite and then only the day we commence so the ownership of the goods transfers to the client.

Any decent plumber will have credit and should not ask for money upfront.
As the guys say most of us are booked up at least 6 weeks in advance esp summer time.

Pete

Hi
I am having a bathroom refurbished and found a bathroom fitter who has provided a good quote, can start in about three weeks and seems good. He has asked for 25% of the money upfront 'to buy materials', with a further 50% payable on commencement and then the final 25% on completion. I can understand the 50% payable on commencement it is the 25% prior to starting that I find difficult to understand - is this a usual payment condition?
Thanks
Just to add my bit; no no no. Pay as little as possible, 10% if you can get away with it but, more usually, 20% is the norm; for your own safety, don't pay a penny more.

Yes that guy is asking too much, too soon.

Many small firms and one man bands like or even need some money up front - in fact why should he pay all the money out and then have a customer renege on the price?

I would have no problem with 50% of material costs to start or even all of it. Preferably make a cheque out to the supplier.

Then agree stage payments as work proceeds, but only pay for work completed - not the 50% on commencement

Hi, gary,
I think I'll just put my twopennorth in.
I agree with Nose and Shyt, Jo is a prat, NO, NO, I didn't mean to say that, I meant to say don't pay up front, if your fellow needs materials , and you want him to start then offer to pay for them to the delivery man.

so hes going to have 75% of the value of the job in his pocket before he has even started!

Hi
Thanks everyone for your replies - very helpful. It was Thermos reply that made me think - 75% of something for doing nothing - good going!

You say he "seems good" - how do you know; just because he can provide a 'good' quote (does that means cheap(ish) or the page was well laid-out), or that he was personable when you met him? Was he recommended, have you seen examples of his work, or did you get his name from the classifieds, etc, etc?

He seemed good as he arrived as arranged, his quote arrived in good time - it was well laid out and he was very personable and had some good ideas. I realise all this doesn't mean much but surely first impressions count for something. He was found from a directory - the builders that were recommended didn't arrive for appointments or failed to follow up and provide the quote.
Anyway, after your advice I have e-mailed him and expressed my concerns and asked if he can change his payment terms. Thanks again - I will keep you informed

Hi
It is valued at about £6300 as it involves knocking walls down and enlarging the shower room - fittings (loo, basin, shower, shower tray, enclosure taps etc.) are about 2500 of that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back