Shower switch light always on?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just wired up a new pull-cord switch for our shower (a 45A DP ceiling switch). This switch has both a red pilot light and a dial that reads 'On' or 'Off' as you pull the cord. I looked carefully at the existing wiring and the wiring diagram; there were basically 2 sets of red(L), black(N) and green(E) wires and I have wired them up as per the diagram. When I try it, all seems well as regards the shower - the shower's own light comes on in line with the 'On/Off' dial on the switch. However, the small red light on the switch itself is on all the time. This doesn't seem right, but the light's wiring was already set up inside the switch when I unpacked it, and there's no detail on the wiring diagram specific to the light (the pilot light on the old switch never worked, so I couldn't use that as a guide either). Does anyone have advice or suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
You have wired the supply and load side terminals the wrong way round. It wont change the operation of the switch, but it is misleading and potentially for anyone wanting to isolate the shower for maintenance.

Thanks for the quick reply. Forgive my ignorance but I'm not sure I understand 'side terminals.'

There are 2 large cables coming out of the wall, each consisting of a set of 1 live, 1 neutral & 1 earth wires. I assume from the diagram that one of these bunches is the supply and one the load? So, do you mean that I've wired ALL of them the wrong way i.e. I need to swap the 2 earths around, the 2 lives, and the 2 neutrals? Sorry, first DIY wiring job. Thanks again.

OK, I think I see the problem. The red light is connected at one side only to reflect the state of the switch. I guess I need to swap all my connections over. Thanks for the help.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back