Damp Under House

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello chaps, I have a damp patch under my kitchen approx 6 foot square, the source of the water has been rectified but now I just want to dry out the moisture, I have a three foot void under my house and all the joists are resting on brick piers so no damage has been done to the woodwork. Leaving the floorboards up isn't really an option as I have 2 young kids and the kitchen is in constant use. Someone in the pub (oh dear) has told me to put a couple of bags of lime over the wet as this will soak up moisture and prevent any damp smells. Is this an option or is there another way? Forgot to mention my house was built in 1936 so the ground under the house is loose sandy earth and rubble

Cheers

Jim

Sponsored Links
Just leave it. It will dry in no time. I know of houses near the Trent that have a permanent pond of water underneath them.

Lime won't do anything, it might soak up the moisture but the damp will still be there and will still have to dry out. If you've got airbricks installed under the floor level then don't worry, it should dry out. If you haven't then consider installing one or two.

Sponsored Links
just buy or hire a dehumidifier, itll clear that up in 24hrs no probs

just buy or hire a dehumidifier, itll clear that up in 24hrs no probs

Don't be silly. Dehumidifiers don't dry things up, just take moisture from the air.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back