What to do with an old lawn?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
I have an old overgrown lawn, that I have no idea what I should do with it. We have recently kerbed around the lawn so the lawn now needs to be raised about 2-3 inches with fresh top soil.

Should I strim then kill off the old lawn with weedkiller, then rotavate it and rake it to remove any roots then add 2-3 inches of topsoil to bring upto the top of the kerb and reseed?

If so what weedkiller should I use?
Do you think a rotavator should be able to break up the soil after I use the weedkiller?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Anybody any ideas? I would like to get to work on the garden this evening.

If old lawn is worth saving, rent a turf cutter , cut in strips ,roll up lawn,add top soil and relay turf.

if its only grass then rotovate it into the soil, then add the topsoil. remove any perennial weeds as you rotovate it. The grass rotovated back into the soil will put back green matter and nutrients into the soil.

by the way patience is a virtue

Sponsored Links
Just lay the new lawn over the top of it.

Why remove it or kill it? Just cut it first if need be

because it wont be level and the new grass will struggle to root properly. Unless you mean put the topsoil over it, in which case as long as there is no drainage problems and your putting a decnt layer of topsoil down, then its do-able

I'd strip it with a turf cutter, rotavate and import a good screened loamy topsoil. Lightly compact the new topsoil (heel and toe) and rake it to grade it out and to remove any large pebbles - not that there should be any if it's sceened (there usually are though :)). Wet the topsoil before laying the turf.

Turf is really cheap compared to the time investment in trying to 'rescue' old unkempt lawns, I never see the point in bothering when you can easily replace the lot in a days work and for relatively little money.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back