Plasticiser substitute

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there a substitute for plasticiser??--I have a few bricks to lay and don't want to go and buy a can full ;)

Job done now

:D

Sponsored Links
Washing up liquid was (and sometimes still is) used as a plasticiser. I used it when I built my double garage and also the wall between me & next door. I built both ten years ago & I'm re-pointing them both this year.......

Buy some plasticiser, DON'T use anything else it can cause untold grief in the long run.

can i ask on here if it is crucial to use plasticiser? what happens if it is not used.

You only need a plasticiser if the sand needs plasticising!

Not all sands need it to make it workable.

Lime also does this job.

I don't think I've seen any actual testing done to prove that washing up liquid is a bad thing to use.

There are walls/houses/extensions done with this :oops: , and I've not noticed any problems with the mortar after 20 odd years.

The only issue I can think of, is that many people put too much in. It only requires a very very small amount of concentrate per mix.

The main thing with brickwork is to give it a nice, proper, smooth ironed joint, and this gives the weathering protection

Sponsored Links
I don't think I've seen any actual testing done to prove that washing up liquid is a bad thing to use.
There's salt in it, so it reacts with the cement if too much has been added - don't ask me the chemistry, I can't remember it. Too much also makes too many bubbles in the matrix, which adversely affects the strength.

The salt is also the reason thqat you shouldn't clean your reading glasses or your car with it, as it scratches.

But how much salt is in 1/2 a teaspoon ..... which is then mixed with 80kgs of mortar?

You probably get more salts when a bird poos' on the wall or a dog wees' up it and then rain soaks it in

Too much can apply to 'proper' plasticiser too - especially when you put the recommended dose in and it does not look very workable, so you then tip a load more in :rolleyes:

I can see the concern on bubbles in the matrix though - especially if Agent Smith is on site

Yes, used in v small quants, it not likely to cause a problem, but that's the nub of it, for both "official" and "unofficial" plasticisers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back