Burning Tanalised timber ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got some offcuts of tanalised timber from work in my garden. Is there any reason why I cannot chop this for kindling for use in my lounge woodburner ? I seem to remember being told that one shouldn't burn tanalised timber - can anyone confirm yes or no ?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
done a search :cry:

Wooden products are often tanalised - impregnated under pressure with highly toxic substances such as arsenic - to protect against rot. Look for a pale green stain soaked into the outer layer, typically on roughly sawn softwood which otherwise wouldn't last any time at all outside in the wet. Although we can't advise against buying such products because in reality there are very few alternatives within the price range of most people. Due to the toxins it is advised that you don't burn tanalised timber!
Burning tanalised wood releases arsenic, a cumulative poison, into your immediate atmosphere.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back