Sewage manhole in living room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're having an extension built onto our kitchen to provide a living area. Due to the location of two outdoor manhole covers, one storm water, one sewage, the builder has said these will need to stay where they are which will mean they end up in our new extension living area. He said it's to do with the drop.
We can cover them with a rug/furniture but it doesn't seem like a good idea to have the sewer manhole cover in our living room. I'm assuming that there could be smells etc. however well it is sealed.
Can someone out there please advise me whether this is going to cause problems.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
double seal, screw down manhole covers are specifically designed for your scenario.

i'm not a fan of indoor i.c's but it if they have to be there then there are air tight versions available.

once you have to lift the lid though...... :eek:

We had the same problem when renovating our kitchen, we lifted old vinyl only to find original manhole cover!

Our builder fitted a new purpose built one and we have no problem of smells etc. We fitted new vinyl but didnt stick it down so we could get access. The lid of the new cover has a load of cement pored in to make it level with the floor. To be honest we dont even think of it now.

I know what you mean though, we were hoffified when we found it! God forbid we do ever need to open it though!

they smell less than you think. i seem to forever have my head in them when we are changing old ones on patios! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
In my experience, if its a public sewer Thames Water won't allow you to have te manhole inside the property. There must be some outside access to it.

We have 2 manholes, on one the drive and another behind the garage. An extension is being built and we've had to move the manhole which is now inside the extension walls.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back