Dianthus Pinks (Grans Favourite) - falling over

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have some Dianthus Pinks (Grans Favourite) which I have recently planted in my garden but they are all falling over and laying flat on the ground more or less as soon as they flower - they are in full sun most of the day and they get plenty of water. Any ideas? Is this just because it is their first year and they are getting established or do I need to stake them in some way?

Thanks

Jason

Sponsored Links
no, I was thinking they might not have established their roots yet, but two months should be plenty.

You frayed out the roots at planting, and improved the soil in the hole a bit?

When I've grown Dianthus they've been quite bushy. I suppose if yours is a florists variety it might have rather long stems.

You could poke some twigs in the ground for support. the idea is that they look less unnatural than canes, and the thick bit goes in the ground and the branching thinner bits support the plant.

Sponsored Links
no, I was thinking they might not have established their roots yet, but two months should be plenty.

You frayed out the roots at planting, and improved the soil in the hole a bit?

When I've grown Dianthus they've been quite bushy. I suppose if yours is a florists variety it might have rather long stems.

You could poke some twigs in the ground for support. the idea is that they look less unnatural than canes, and the thick bit goes in the ground and the branching thinner bits support the plant.

I did fray the roots out and put some compost into the hole to help it bed in - they have grown quite a bit and are now flowering well so Im happy with the growth, its just the falling down bit.

Here is a picture of the two "culprits" just so you can see the problem:

flower.jpg

you have a long-stemmed variety.

Good for a vase but needs support

You could stake them, use twigs or possibly loosely tie round several stems.

you can get the green metal supports that have a small frame at the top in most garden centres, that will do the job and not be too obtrusive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back