how to fix a curtain pole

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi people,

i have a basic question and I was wondering if someone can give me a few pointers.

ok I want to fix a metal curtain pole (not that heavy) onto the wall shown in the photo bellow:

Now the problem with this wall, is that above the red line I have drawn, it is impenetrable with any masonary drill bit I tried to use. I can only go so far as 2-2.5 cm deep (not deep enough for the rawlplug to enter) and then I hit somekind of impenetrable surface, which I think might be metal. Not sure. The result is I cannot fix the screws above the red line (point B).

Under the line (point A) there is no problem and I can drill deep enough. However the problem is that this window frame is about 2.30 m long and I might need to fit another supporting pole hook in the middle at point C.

Now, i was wondering. Is there any way to fix the pole at points B and C? And if so how can i do that? keeping in mind I can only penetrate the wall a few centimetres. Have you ever seen a wall like this before? (is it called drywall, hollow wall?) it sounds approximately the same if you tap at A, B or C.

I would appreciate any help as I am currently without curtains :oops:

Thank you

Sponsored Links
It seems you are drilling into a lintel, which is either reinforced concrete, or steel.

If a masonry bit stops drilling, try following it with a (good, sharp) HSS twist bit (without hammer) to penetrate the steel.

If it's a steel lintel, it will be hollow behind and you' may need to use a hollow fixing for your curtain pole; it it's steel reinforced concrete, you'll have more concrete to drill once you've penetrated the steel.

Choosing a different position for the holes (above or below the reinforcing rod) would be another option.

Standard masonry bits and impact drills can struggle to penetrate hard materials. An SDS drill with good quality SDS bits will make life much easier.

Choosing a different position for the holes (above or below the reinforcing rod) would be another option.

yes i see. Thank you for your reply xerxes. I will try a different drill bit to penetrate the metal.

By the way, if I decide to chose a different position, lets say higher, how tall/wide are these metal lintels usually? Would it most probably reach all the way to the ceiling? Thank you

I wasn't entirely clear, I'm sorry.

Choose a higher position to miss a horizontal steel reinforcing rod in a concrete lintel.

If you're drilling into a steel lintel, it shouldn't be difficult to drill into it with the appropriate bit, whatever the position.

You could try asking your neighbours with similar houses (if there are any) if they've had similar problems: this could help you identify what you're dealing with.

Sponsored Links
I wasn't entirely clear, I'm sorry.

Choose a higher position to miss a horizontal steel reinforcing rod in a concrete lintel.

If you're drilling into a steel lintel, it shouldn't be difficult to drill into it with the appropriate bit, whatever the position.

You could try asking your neighbours with similar houses (if there are any) if they've had similar problems: this could help you identify what you're dealing with.

right i got u this time.
so there are two cases as you say 1) concrete lintel with possible reinforcing steel rod
or
2) steel lintel

I dont think I can go any much higher than position B (there is a maximum height I can fix the hook, or else the pole with touch the ceiling skirting) but I can always go lower A (but wont be able to attach a hook in the middle C for reinforcement).

So assuming I cannot avoid the steel (steel rod or steel lintel) an HSS drill bit should do the trick in both cases right? Have I understood that correctly?

That's right. Once you hit steel you need to swap to a metal drilling bit to penetrate that (without hammer action).

That's right. Once you hit steel you need to swap to a metal drilling bit to penetrate that (without hammer action).

gotcha thanks.

just one last followup question. Assuming i manage to penetrate the steel with the HSS there are two possibilities behind the steel:

a) Hollow wall --> i use a hollow wall fixing th
or
b) concrete --> i use the normal rawlplugs

Right?

That's right.

However, I've no personal experience of fixing to steel lintels. Perhaps somebody else will come along to help with that one.

As I say, it's possible you have neighbours who can tell you what's underneath your plasterwork.

alright cheers xerxes. at least I have some idea of what might be behind and how to drill through it. much obliged. Thanks again

When I hit the steel rod in the concrete lintel, I use a small HSS drill bit then another one for the right size HSS drill bit to take the rawlplug, self-tapping into the steel without rawlplug is very difficult to do because of the thickness of the steel rod.

When I hit the steel rod in the concrete lintel, I use a small HSS drill bit then another one for the right size HSS drill bit to take the rawlplug, self-tapping into the steel without rawlplug is very difficult to do because of the thickness of the steel rod.

alright. I am gonna go to my local B&Q today and buy an HSS drill set and try this way.

Thanks guys

followup:
bloody hell I did it :)

I bought a set of titanium drill bits and another for concrete and after 1 hour of drilling I manage to do it. 3 perfect holes. Very slow process.

I think there was concrete behind and not metal. Still very very tough to penetrate. Could never have done it with normal brick drill bits.

Thanks for the help everyone. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back