making internal window?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI, I'm part way through building an internal vestibule in my house, mainly to keep out the noise from the main road.
Am using 12mm plasterboard & kingspan on a framework of 3x2" & its going fine. This whole project is hopefully going to cost me no more than £100 as I have the wood, the door, glass & kingspan already.

However, I'm putting in a window over the top of the door so that any light in the lounge gets into there & vv, I currently have plasterboard either side of the 3x2" rectangle. I am thinking of getting some 3.5"x1/2 nice wood to line it with, plaster upto the edge (tape the front & insode so I dont mess on it) then down the very middle put a bead of 9x21mm to crete a frame for glass to go against, then put silicone along it & fit a piece of 4mm (old coffee table top) glass on one side, with 11mm quadrant beading at the front.

Assuming the glass cuts to size (if not I may just plaster the hole up :D ).

Because I'm a tight git & I recycle lots I dont want to buy in things like glass.

The wood frame will be painted & there will be architrave around the whole frame.

Can anyone see anything I'm doing wrong suggest what may be better?

Cheers,
Mattylad.

Sponsored Links
However, I'm putting in a window over the top of the door so that any light in the lounge gets into there & ---
Because I'm a tight git & I recycle lots I dont want to buy in things like glass.
-----
Can anyone see anything I'm doing wrong suggest what may be better?

Cheers,
Mattylad.
Because I'm a tight git
Sorry but you said it! ;) Building regulations require any glass fitted within a defined vicinity of a door must be safety glass so re-cycling your old coffee table (are you really being serious! :eek: ) is a non starter; glass isn’t that expensive! :rolleyes:

coffee table glass is likly to be tougend which is great as it will comply with the regs :D :D :D

only problem is you cant cut it so unless you can make your window appeture the glass shape youve had that one

also if its enclosed i think you will need to comply with building regulations as far as insulation is concerned :rolleyes: !!!

also if its enclosed i think you will need to comply with building regulations as far as insulation is concerned :rolleyes: !!!
If it's a habitable room, which it probably is (not sure about the definition of a vestibule!), you will also need to provide either an opening window or forced ventilation (fan).

Sponsored Links
HI thank s for your comments.

Its a 4 foot square box attached to the inside of the front door.
It will have a coat hanger in & a door mat.
nobody will be doing anything in there except passing through.
Why on earth would any regs say I need to insulate it?

That said, as I said in my first post, I have lots of Kingspan & have insulated it all with 50mm of it to keep the road noise out (which its doing fine & I havn't even got the door on yet).

I guess I'll have a go with the glass & if not, go & buy some.
(thats not as easy to do as say, buying glass round here means I'l have to take time off work).

Here is a pic of it during construction of the frame to give an idea of it.

PICT0013.jpg

As you can see, this is the typical DIY & I just have to fall over my drill & all the wood at the side will fall over, knock the mirror off the wal, it will shatter & slice my leg open :D

(its a lot tidyer now, I have even hoovered :D )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back