Pls HELP Tiny black flies in my bathroom sink & bath YUK

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok This is AWFUL for me. (yucky shivvers!)

We recently moved in to the house and almost everytime i run the sink taps, a teeeny tiny little black fly or two will come out! (im not sure if they come out to the tap or the overflow?

They are often just chilling out in the sink and bath when you walk in as well! There has been as many as 10 just sitting in the bottom of the bath!

Also, once in a while running the taps (bath and sink) there will be a load of black bits of in the water!!!

I really need advice on how to get rid of these things once and for all. ITS DISGUSTING!!!

Speedy replies would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
loss of trap seal i think, put sum hep vo self sealing trap for the time being untill u resolve the problem with your trap seal loss

Hey thank you for your reply.

One thing thought

I'm really not sure what you meant? Im a dancer so im afraid i know nothing about plumbing except for the basic' replace a washer when the tap leaks' etc.

Please could you ellaborate or tell it to me in 'baby-language' style description

Thanks again

Helena :)

You should look at your cold water storage cistern/tank in your loft, it could need cleaning out and sterialising, also it might not have the close fitted lid, screened overflow, screened vent and insulation that is required.

Sponsored Links
google search hep vo
seems like your u bends are losing the water seal that is supposed to stay in them and flies from the sewers are coming up them, they sit in the pipes when u turn the water on and disturb them they fly out.
you need to find out why you are losing the seals , but in the meantime i suggest you put on a hep vo self sealing trap on your bath and basin waste pipe before you u bend.the hep vo has a membrane inside it which open up when water passes through it but closes when no water is passed through so should be ok for your situation,

Thanks Waterworks,
However, we do not have a tank in our loft....
Do you think its just the pipes need cleaning/flushing out?
How would be the best way to do that you think??
Thanks everyone
Helena

sorry my bad , may not be your trap seal, just read your post again. but get it checked.

If you haven't got any storage tanks then you must have everything on the mains, in which case you won't need to clean so it probably will be something to do with wastes as suggested.

Squirt bleach down the overflow and traps. This should stop them hanging around. We get the same in summer if the bath is wet .and the window is open we get hundreds of black fly get stuck and die in the bath. You dont get flys in sewers

Thanks andytheplumber
Is there a way to get the pipes and whatever flushed out do you know.
Or is this fly problem mainly in the overflow and plugholes?
What about the black crap that is often rinsing through when we first turn on the taps???
Thanks again
H

andy, iv seen it in a customers house where they come out of the waste pipes, its them little flies.

Open the tap into a large see through container to see if they are coming from the tap, if they are contact water supplier (cant see it though) Put plugs in bath and sink, and toilet roll in overflows and close window to see if they stop, as they could be somewhere else in the bathroom (its a process of elimination)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back