oak beams in garden- weather protection needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

we are doing a garden project which involves a little walk way going across a gravel area.
we have bought some old oak beams which i am in the process of cleaning up.
the idea is to have them looking all rough and looking a bit like drift wood.
now they look great when dry but a mess when they get wet so i am after some sort of weather protection.

I dont want wood stain or anything that will make them look protected .
I was thinking of some clear matt varnish or even wax but does anyone have any alternative ideas?

many thanks in advance

Andy

Sponsored Links
linseed oil

you can raise the grain first with a wire brush if you want a weatherbeaten look.

In addition to linseed oil, Tung Oil is another option. It's waterproof and has a matt finish...

cheers guys

will it alter the colour of the wood as parts of the wood are almost grey which I would like to keep

thanks

Sponsored Links
it will enrich the colour. best to try it on part of the wood that wont show or an offcut first. Dont use stain or varnish, they wont last and will look crap

The problem that you've got is that anything you put on the surface will bring out the natural appearance of the wood. As Thermo says best to try some Linseed oil (Boiled) on an inconspicuous area first. I'd also recommend you try a sample of a product called Woodshield Clear, a microporous clear finish that if you thin it with approximately 10-15% white spirit may get closer to the appearance you're after.

All are available from Smith & Rodger, just ask for Joanne and she'll arrange the samples (100ml).

Hope this helps

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back