Soggy soil

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone point me in the right direction, Moved into the house about 8 yrs ago, and set about sorting out the back lawn it was really boggy, so went down the land drain route, removed all original lawn rotavated, installed land drains, etc, cured the bog out a treat,

but i never really looked after the lawn, kids playing bare patches around the fotty net, weeds etc, so eight years later decide i want to sort lawn out again.

So i have removed the lawn and raised the level up to meet the deck (deck around perimiter of lawn) old lawn was 4inches lower than the deck and was a pain to cut the edges so have added loads of new top soil to raise the level up,

this is where the problem is, the soil that has come in is real sloppy when its wet, but its loverly stuff when its dry, can be raked very easy to a very fine tilth, never had problems with the old lawn as far as drainage goes, could walk on it in the rain etc, this soil packs down loverly when its dry but is sloppy when its seen a bit of rain, i just sink into it and it sticks to my shoes in massive clumps.

Was looking to lay turf this weekend but im worried that its not a good idea with the soil as it is.
Sorry for the long winded post, but im really after some advice.
Cheers in advance.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back