Building a Shed Base

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm wanting to get a new shed in the next few weeks and the supplier says I need to have a 'good base' ready for delivery...... but what makes for a good base?

I was planning on just laying out a few broken up pieces of paving slab on some compacted ground, and then laying bearers on top of those - is that an ok base? Seeing as I've got some broken flag stones from some previous work it seems overkill to buy flags to pave the whole area (its going to be 10' x 8') - but I don't want to have an inadequate base when they arrive.

Will my original idea of a base be ok?
Anyone got ay better ideas?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Hi All,

I'm wanting to get a new shed in the next few weeks and the supplier says I need to have a 'good base' ready for delivery...... but what makes for a good base?

I was planning on just laying out a few broken up pieces of paving slab on some compacted ground, and then laying bearers on top of those - is that an ok base? Seeing as I've got some broken flag stones from some previous work it seems overkill to buy flags to pave the whole area (its going to be 10' x 8') - but I don't want to have an inadequate base when they arrive.

Will my original idea of a base be ok?
Anyone got ay better ideas?

Cheers

Dont know if its too late now but here is my two pennorth

I laid a shed base years ago and did much the same as you but after a year or three the base became uneven and then the shed moved. I would now build a concrete base slightly crowned (sloping away from the middle) to help prevent rain water from getting/collecting under the shed.

Think also how or what the shed floor will sit on as if its constantly wet it will rot so much faster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back