Decking - When to apply Oil

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Having laid my decking and the wood has been in the sun now for week or so I would like to protect it using oil as looking at other posts, this appears to be the favoured option.

When is the best time to apply the oil? The reason that I ask this is because there is still some very visible green from the tanalising process. Should I wait until the green has gone, or is it Ok to oil straight away? Will the green stay if I oil over it?

Also there are some marked areas on the tanalising, almost like a crystal build up on the surface that I have tried scrubbing, but it is still there. Any ideas how to remove this or will it just go over time?

Cheers for any help

Len

Sponsored Links
Hi Imanning,

You can really apply the oil at anytime. I'd advise that you apply 1 coat allow it soak in for about 30 mins and then apply further coats. Once the oil stops being absorbed (probably 3rd coat) wait 45 mins and wipe of the excess. If you don't the surface may skin.

As for the crystallising, I'd recommend you try to clean it off with Genuine Turpentine (prior to oiling), it's just the resin coming out of the grain of the wood so hopefully this will stop that happening.

If not, don't worry the oil will take.

I hope this helps.

Woodfinish Man

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back