internal door no longer fits

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
5 months ago i fitted a new internal door to a bedroom. It was a moulded panel door. I just noticed today that the vertical edge above the latch is now catching the frame as it closes. It was perfect when I fitted it 5 months ago (2mm gap all round). I am posting this because I want to understand why it has changed. I am worried that if i re-trim the door, it may contract and leave a large gap. The door is hung by 3 steel hinges and they still seem solid. any ideas apreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
There aren't many possibilities:

1. The door has swollen;
2. The frame has skewed (house movement);
3. The hinges have worn.

When you close the door, what's the gap on the hinge side, and is the door still parallel with the frame on all other edges?

The gap around the rest of the door looked ok and the same as it was when fitted. There does not seem any movement in the hinges either. So why would the door swell and what should i do any how.

I am renovating the house; this door at the moment is the only one that I have replaced, and the others in the house have huge gaps around them. So I can not detect if any other doors are affected. If you are wondering, the large gaps around the other doors is probably due to them being second hand or something similar. This house was once completly gutted of all fittings as it got repossessed. It was open to the ellements (no windows) and the last owner was a builder and fitted lots of seconds from other jobs etc. - this was over 15 years ago.

I have gone back to plaster in two bedrooms upstairs and did notice that the top coat of plaster had some cracks here and there, but there does not seem to be any cracks in the exterior brickwork.

Sponsored Links
Did you tapered on both of the door edge?

yep as masona says you need a leading edge otherwise at the point where the front edge meets the frame your nearer to 1mm

couple this to 3 coats of paint on the frame and door plus the fact any slack in the hinges will go strait to the top edge above the lock :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back