Non standard door size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive got a rotten external door and frame that I need to replace - problem is the current door is only 187cm high, and all standard doors seem to be about 198cm high. I dont think I could fit a larger door in the space.

Is it in-adviseable to plane down a door by this mich, say if I took 4 or 5 cm off the top and bottom? I was planning on getting a glazed door, so it has stiles at the top and bottom.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
cheaper doors are often made from dozens of staves of poor quality wood faced with decent quality wood these tend to be the ones or hollow panel doors that only have 6mm margins to play with

in other words check the individual door for the amount you can remove

in general 6 to 10 or up to 12mm is not a problem for a decent quality door ;)

ooops i read mm l o l

no definatly not if the worst comes to the worst you can add onto the door or frame
what width is the door!!!

Sponsored Links
I was gonna get a 30" door, but I cant find any suppliers anywhere who sell doors less than 198cm tall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back