Sink bottle trap outlet is lower than outlet pipe, help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Help, I have just been sorting out the kitchen, got the cabinet built with cut outs for pipe and screwed it into the wall, put on the worktop with holes cut out. After messing about with the piping for the taps, I put in the sink and have found that the base of the sink it very close to the outlet pipe, I grabbed the bottle and the pug hole thing, and positioned it under the sink as it would look had it been fitted. ARGHHH, the outlet hole in the bottle is lower than the outlet pipe. The difference is about 25mm (half the pipe diameter)

I never even considered that being a problem. Anyone got any ideas, was thinking of cutting a bit off the bottom of that pug hole thing, the bottle screw doesn't use 1cm of those threads. Or raising the worktop, or unfit the whole lot and cut out new holes which i reluctantly want to do.
Preferably I would like a smaller trap bottle if possible, need the neck of the bottle to be fairly short.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

Sponsored Links
Well, you could buy a different trap.

Or you could use an in-line trap, such as a HepVO.

Or you could drill another hole through the wall.

Do as Softus says but do not cut the waste thread as you will never get a seal on there again.
Bottle traps are not advised for the kitchen sink as they can clog easier than s traps.

Pete

excellent stuff, i think the HepVO trap will work nicely. what happens if i say i drop something small down the plug hole, would that trap hold it for me? sorry not quite clued up on these

didn't realise bottle traps weren't advised for kitchen sinks, just as my other sink had one i thought it would be the norm

big thanks to you guys

Sponsored Links
a hep vo trap is good, expensive but a good option. NEVER use a bottle trap on a sink anyway, it easily gets clogged up ...

bottle trap it won't be then....is it me or does it look like b&q and wickes don't stock it? can only find it from plumbworld, but will need to order that online :(

Would one of the extendable p traps do here, if the outlet connection is too low a piece can be cut from the end of the extending pipe which screws onto the sink out- let effectively raising the outlet higher up. I'm sure wickes do these or screw fix.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back