Creating a wooden gate for garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

haven't posted on here for a long time, but thought I'd ask if anyone can give any advice on a problem I have.

I need to replace a panel fence section at the bottom of our garden with a gate as I need to get a motorbike in there and the current gate is not big enough. The easy way for me to do it, is to have it open out, but I know that is a little naughty :evil:

If it opens inwards, I really need to make it a 'barn door' style double job in order to give enough clearance. However, in either case, I'm not sure what hinges to use. If I go for the inwards barn door, I guess I can use normal T hinges for it, but whats the best way to secure a double door from being kicked in? A bar all the way across the middle?

If I go outwards, what kind of hinges to I use? I can't really use T hinges on the outside as someone can just unsrew them. Are there any others that can be used? I figure it would have to be something similar to internal door hinges that fit inside the frame? I've seen the band and hook type hinges on screwfix that look like they might work, but they also look like they could be simply lifted off. But I guess I could maybe get around this by putting a 'dummy' upside down hinge in the middle?

Also, what kind of wood is best for cladding the gate? My current gate has the kind of panelling wood that you get on fences, but I can't seem to see that at B&Q. Does it have a specific name?

Thanks hugely in advance for any advice.

Sponsored Links
few details missing is the gate 18" wide by 24" high !!!! :D ;)

a friend of mine just took the screws out of one side of the fence panel so he could open it out to get his bike in
he just tethered it with a bit of electrical wire nailed to the top of the panel which he then looped around the post as a closure

now thats cheap..

but you could consider maybe putting hinges on one side of the existing panel and a proper gate latch on the other side...

Sponsored Links
HI, YOU CAN USE A PAIR OF HINGES CALLED CRANKED HOOK AND BANDS,, WHEN YOU USE THESE YOU USEUALLY PUT THE BOTTOM PIN THE OPPOSITE WAY UP TO THE TOP ONE. THIS TO PREVENT THE GATE FROM BEING LIFTED OF OR YOU CAN USE HINGES THAT ARE CALLED OFFSET HINGES,, THESE HINGES WILL LET YOU OPEN THE TOWARDS YOUR GARDEN, THE BEST TYPE OF GATE FOR YOU TO USE , FOR SECRITY IS CALLED A FEATHER EDGE GATE WHICH IS SIMILAR TO A OF FENCES THESE GATES ARE VERY STURDY.. I HOPE I HAVE BEEN SOME HELP
CHERRIES

cherries, please look at the date the post ws made, he has probably done it by now.

And typing in capitals is considered SHOUTING

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back