A few concrete post queries

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've used info from they forums on numerous occassions to great effect. On this occassion I cant find the answers to my specific queries on search.

I'm going to start building a 22m long fence next weekend, using 5ft fence panels, 1ft gravel boards and 8ft concrete posts:

1) Has anyone used a one man auger and would you recommend one?

2) I'm assuming 1 bag of postcrete per 8ft post (2ft burried)?

3) Lastly, the planning office have forced me to incorporate a splay where the fence would otherwise form a 90 degree corner. In essence a splay is like a 2m x 2m champher which aids my neighbour in reversing off the drive. So ive got to contend with 2 x 45 degree angles now. Is there a concrete fence post on the market that can accommodate a panel at 45 degrees or do I just use 2 posts on each corner??

Thanks in advance ;)

Sponsored Links
1: No. Only if you can't be arsed to dig.

2: 1 is never enough. I usually buy a bag of cement and about 5 of ballast, to bulk it up. Any old bricks you have knocking about can be smashed up and added in too.

3: Don't think so, easiest thing would be to bolt a timber to the chamfer side and fix the fence at an angle to the timber.

USEING AN AUGER,, DEPENDS A LOT ON WHAT YOUR GROUND IS LIKE... IF IT IS A SOFT DIG OR IF IT A HARD DIG.. I THINK THE BEST WAY,, IS DIG IT OUT BY HAND,, AS FOR YOUR SPLAYING PROBLEM THERE 3-4 WAYS YOU USE A CORNER POST.. WHICH MEANS YOU WILL NEED ANOTHER POST, TO FINISH THE JOB.. THIS SHOULD MAKE IT EASY FOR YOUR NEIGHBOUR TO GET HIS CAR OUT
CHERRIES

Thanks for replies chaps.

Any economical tips on securing fence panels so they cant be easily removed :?:

I'm thinking of threading some builders banding behind the horizontal batten at the bottom of the panel and securing it to the concrete fence post. This should prevent the panel from being easily lifted out of position...

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/38619/Building/Builders-Metalwork/Builders-Band-10M

It's a little extra work when the time comes to re-creosote but I only intend to do that every 2 years or so.

Sponsored Links
Any economical tips on securing fence panels so they cant be easily removed :?:

I'm thinking of threading some builders banding behind the horizontal batten at the bottom of the panel and securing it to the concrete fence post. This should prevent the panel from being easily lifted out of position...

It will look ugly, and that builders band can easily be snipped if you're worried about security.

If you get a couple of timber arris rails (the triangles), and fix one vertically to each post with a bolt, then your panel will sit between these as if it were between 2 normal timber fence posts.

Use metal clips (also known as metclips ;) ) to fix the fence between the posts. Plus for an extra secure fence, drill some 4mm holes in the vertical edge battens and galv nail through into post.

In all honesty, no-ones gonna go round lifting out your panels, and they would find it fairly tricky if they tried. Much easier to just jump over.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back