Trimming conifers - is there a right/wrong time?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning all.

We have several conifers (about 2.5m high) that are sorely in need of a trim but I don't want to cut them now and find that they go brown and die :cry: . I'm no gardener but something rings in my mind that you shouldn't cut a tree/plant 'when the sap is running', or something like that.
Am I being over cautious and can I take the shears out now or should I wait for winter when the trees are more dormant?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I have a similar hedge and it gets a trim a couple of times in the middle months.

No problem with an electric hedge trimmer, but you don't want to cut right back, like you do a Privet Hedge.

Try to keep to the new green shoots, not the brown branches. Tops can be cut right back as you need to keep the hight down.

After a couple of months the tops will be full with new shoots poping through, these can then easily be trimmed back

2.5m high with an electric hedge trimmer, hmmmmm.

try a bow saw

Yes, be wary of cutting back to dead wood, most conifers do not grow back from dead wood. But you can trim them anytime really.

Sponsored Links
Thanks JohnEBoca, 2scoops0406 and breezer for your help and comments. I've borrowed my Mum's telescopic shears and will fettle the conifers tomorrow, all being well.

Thanks once again :) .

Antony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back