using battens

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello I am going to be drylining my house and using battens on the ground floor to screw the plasterboard to. As my brick walls are somewhat wet, I am wondering if anyone here has coated the battens or protected them with membrane etc so rot will not be a future issue. Thanks for your comments.

Also, I am told that it is good to use a membrane. Do I use it on top of the battens before the plasterboard to protect the board or right on the brick? I want to use a non-gritty type of roof felt as it is rather inexpensive and bitument coat should be sufficient. Where I am from we use this type of felt often in wetroom applications.

Commensts please.

pps. dot and dab is not going to happen.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Sorry, WE are Electricians, the BRAINS of the trade ask the daft lads in the building forum :D

Although, yes, you can put a membrane against the wall, and battens on top (many dont like fixing the battens to the wall through the membrane, but the BCO say it is fine).

You need to think about where the moisture will go though....

If it is a suspended floor, the membrane needs to finish below the floor. Moisture will then end up under the floor, and with cross ventilation it will be taken away.

If it is a solid floor, the membrane should really be lapped into the bottom course of blocks/bricks, and then weep vents placed along to allow the moisture out.

You may well be better getting a damp proofing company in to sort the wall anyway.

Whatever you do , do not dryline a damp wall, you are asking for trouble .
Best bet is to locate source of dampness, rectify it and replaster as necessary

Sponsored Links
Sorry, WE are Electricians, the BRAINS of the trade ask the daft lads in the building forum :D
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: How far wrong can you go with 3 wires? :rolleyes: Admitted 3 phase stretches the brain a little as it has one extra wire! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back