Children's Playhouse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am wanting to build a small, simple playhouse for my son. I want it to be wooden, with one or 2 windows and a door - the playhouse needs to have only one room and a solid floor (it is to go on a flat decked area), and just needs room to play with an easel or train set. I have found books and items on e-bay which provide plans to approach the build, but am really struggling to understand the kind of cost this will be for me to build.

Has anyone done anything similar/have any advice or guidance on costs?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Work out the basic sizes, length x width x height, then work out what type of boards you are going to use i.e ship lap, tongue and groove or ply etc.

Then a bit of maths will tell you how many boards you will need, so work out the width of the boards to get the height you need and then work out the length and width you need minus of course any window and door openings and don't forget the supports that you will need to screw the boards to,
I would go with 2x2 plained timber for supports and sand them down well to cut down on any splinters and sand the edges that will be exposed so they are more rounded rather than a 45 degree angle

I would use a thick marine ply for the floor say 18 or 22mm

Alternatively you could use ply for the front back and sides and assemble together using 2x2 to screw to, cut out the door and window openings and then finish the outside with a more decorative wood like ship lap or tongue and groove etc!

Once you know what size the playhouse is going to be, you can then work out the material cost

Thankyou.

Going to build about 110(W)*120(L)*120(H), just no idea where to start pricing it but that helps, thankyou

Sponsored Links
I take it that's in centimeters, so if your boards are 12cm wide you will need 10 of them for the height x 2.4M lengths this will give you 1.2m for the front and back of the play house, so 20 x 2.4m lengths should do the shell if the boards are 12cm wide and are tongue and groove, for ship lap you will have to allow for some overlap of course! and then don't forget you will have to allow for enough material to make a door etc

Depending on the design of the playhouse i.e. how many windows etc and the door you will need enough 2 x 2 to not only use as stud work for you boards to be screwed to but also to frame around the door opening and windows and of course the roof, again for the roof you could use a good marine ply and use felt tiles for the roofing material.

For safety, make sure an adult can gain easy access just in case a child should become unwell and cannot get out. I would also consider using fire retardant timber and materials, just in case, kids will be kids after all!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back