Fitting fence panels onto a wall, and a coping question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got an old brick wall bordering my garden that ranges from 500mm to 700mm in height (garden slopes gently).

I'm want to install a fence along the top of the wall using bolt down 3" metposts, the fence will be built using a 1830*1200mm lap panel, then a half lap/half trellis panel, another full lap panel and then finally another half lap/half trellis panel, the plan being our neighbour will be happy that we arn't blocking all her light :) The highest end of the wall will have a narrow panel and a gate which will help strengthen the end of the fence.

My main concern is how the wall will cope...if I use standard expanding bolts, will I loose the top row of bricks as soon as we have a storm? I'm tempted to drop threaded bar into holes around 300mm deep and then resin them in the spread the side loads through several courses of bricks. The wall is old but I don't really want to take the approach other neighbours have and use rusty angle iron nailed into the brickwork to support the fenceposts. Alternatively, are expanding bolts available in longer lengths?

Finally, the wall nearest the house is damp and I want to install some coping stones along the top. This section will only have a couple of 400mm trellis panels as it is higher than the rest of the wall. Is it possible to drill through coping stones with a masonry bit to fit a central metpost to support the two panels or will it crack/crumble?

Thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
In my opinion this idea is doomed to failure. As you say, a good shunt from the wind or a drunken reveller will loosen the wall. Old walls are pretty carp anyway.

Most metpost products are, again in my opinion, rubbish anway and I never ever use them.

In your situation, so long as the wall is pretty sound overall, I would look at attaching wooden posts to one side of it, and screw panels between them. With some jiggery-pokery you can arrange for the panels to sit atop the wall. Consider bolting through the wall in its entirety, rather than just screwing into plugs in the bricks.

Thanks for the reply...I have to admit I thought your suggestion was the foolproof method but was hoping for reassurance that the wall will be stronger than it looks ;)

I think your idea is the route I'll be following...

Sponsored Links
Well, I have two rules which have got me thru life OK so far:

1. Prepare to be disappointed

and

2. Don't use Metpost products.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back