Building over Drainage Pipe

cdh

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Planning on building an extension to widen the kitchen & garage by approx 2ft which is approx 6" short of the boundary - I've got plannig permission for this. I've dug 2 trial holes either end of the extension to determine the depth of the foundations. At one end I've come across a clay drainage pipe which would clash with the foundations by approx 1". The other end of the extension, the clay pipe is further out so no problem.
Is there anyway the foundation can be built around the pipe?

Sponsored Links
Do you mean the pipe will run alongside the new foundations if so for how long.
Are you sure the clay pipe is still in use?

Pete

Didn't the guy who did the plans include the drain layout and specify what precautions you need to take when building close to drains? :rolleyes:

Depending on specifics, you may be able to reduce the foundation width by this 1", but drains close to foundations may be required to be encased in concrete too.

If not, then you would normally look at removing or relocating the drain.

BTW, it sounds like you have not had b/regs approval/involvemnt yet(?). Is this drain confirmed as a public or private sewer?

The length of the extension is approx 7m and the pipe clashes with the foundation for about 1m and then starts to run off and is eventually about 4" from the foundation at the other end.
The clay pipe is still in use and it is a private sewer.
building regs have been approved but they haven't been for a site visit yet.

Sponsored Links
For a private sewer, place the footing slightly eccentric to the wall centreline, sufficient to miss the pipe by 4" or so and take it down to a minimum of pipe invert level.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back