Building a garage but have acquired a bowed wall......

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Don't know if there any brickies out there! We were using profiles for building from each corner each but started to struggle with them although the plumb of the corners is ok. However took down one profile and built up 4 courses at the corner. Ran the line from corner to corner and it was clear of the first 10 bricks by 5mm or so. Not sure what we have done, hard to see by eye alone [I can see it tho!] but the line doesn't lie. I don't understand because we stuck to the profile line rigidly.The error seems to go further than the four added courses.
We have 5 courses before we reach the beginning of the gable, can I 'lose' this error, just carry on or will it have to come down [please no]

Cheers,

Sponsored Links
Theoretically, two plumb profiles will give a plumb wall. But in practice, one only has to be out a fraction, or if one is out one way and the other out the other way, then the wall will develop a twist.

Was the level you used to set them correct, and were both profiles at equal distance from the wall at the upper bolt - ie you only adjust the plumb via the lower bolt

Also, were you laying on the line, causing it to be gradually pushed outwards? This is a common mistake to make

You can lose 5mm easy in a lift. But you need to sort out what you are doing wrong so that it does not continue up the gable - or else it will show at the verge or bargeboards

Yup I agree, I have racked my brain to understand why it happened! All I know is [and unfortunately this part of the wall is at the end of pub lic walkway between two houses] I have got to try and lose the fault in 4-5 courses without it looking obvious. I found that the profiles started to interfere with the corner brick even though the plumb appeared ok.
Thank you for you response.

Theoretically, two plumb profiles will give a plumb wall. But in practice, one only has to be out a fraction, or if one is out one way and the other out the other way, then the wall will develop a twist.

Was the level you used to set them correct, and were both profiles at equal distance from the wall at the upper bolt - ie you only adjust the plumb via the lower bolt

Also, were you laying on the line, causing it to be gradually pushed outwards? This is a common mistake to make

You can lose 5mm easy in a lift. But you need to sort out what you are doing wrong so that it does not continue up the gable - or else it will show at the verge or bargeboards

Sponsored Links
]
As woody says,did you set them up correctly ? if they were brand new you need to set the top bolts up and then dont fiddle with them again, sound like you set them up incorrectly if they were interfering with the bricks on the corner as you laid them,this in theory should not happen. But then even skilled brickies have trouble when laying at height and a profile being usually 23 courses its about the max reach without a hop up etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back