New Concrete Floor?

cdh

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having a 2 storey side extension built which involves widening the garage & kitchen. Do I need to dig up the existing concrete floor and replace it or can I just join it to the extended bit (approx 1m) of concrete floor.
Thanks
Daz

Sponsored Links
joining is not a problem.

however, if the existing floor is without membrane it may pay you to modernise and bring it up to spec.

is the existing floor structurally sound?

Thanks!
There's a dpm, but a fair size crack has appeared across the whole width of the garage floor (4m x 2.5m), although it's not much of an inconvenience. 1/4 of the kitchen floor (3m x 2.5m) has got to be re-inforced with mesh to take a blockwork wall.

Would you just renew the necessary bits or replace the whole lot - been quoted £3000 to replace both floors if I remove the existing floors?

"a fair size crack"

is this an ongoing problem or is it an expansion/settlement issue?

has a car been kept in the garage?

Sponsored Links
The crack is about 2mm wide, think it's from settlement and a car is kept in the garage.

We've also looked under the kitchen floor, below the dpm there seems a lot of very gritty black stone and broken bricks - always thought dpm had to be laid on soft sand, but no sign of this.

I'd like to leave the garage floor, but replace the kitchen - what do you think?

Cheers
Daz

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back