Any advice on building over shared drain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a privately owned, but shared drain (waste) which runs right under the middle of our patio. It appears that everyones waste runs long the drain, and along ours and out to the road. Was thinking of putting a conservatory up, but type of conny is exempt from planning permission and builiding control say not interested as exempt.

Any advise on what we would need to do re the drains ?? Can we just build over, conny don't have dwarf wall, foundations are 1 brick wide, and 4 deep. Access to drains still accessable via manhole in ours and neighbours garden

Sponsored Links
not a problem so long as you adequately 'bridge' the drain and that the foundations go deeper than the drain invert.

the drain could be surrounded by compressible material should it need to be submerged within the concrete.

Thanks, what to you mean by bridge the drain, and what is the invert. I am waiting for a decent brickie to come around to quote on foundations. I have had one rip off quote, and another cheaper quote but didn't seem that concerned about the drain, or inspection chamber position ( right next to conny foundations). I want to make sure we do things right, and not upset the neighbours. Building control did not seem at all interested.

building control will have no remit with the conservatory.

however, if it involves you altering the drains then they do.

you as the homeowner are responsible for overseeing the work and that it is done correctly.

1.the concrete can be stopped or shuttered either side of the pipe and pcc lintelled over.

2.the brickwork can be stopped either side of the pipe and pcc lintelled over.

3.the pipe can be wrapped with insulation then concrete poured around the insulation thus forming a compressible sleeve.

points 1,2 &3 will be applied according to the depth of the drain.

Sponsored Links
Thanks noseall its great to get some sense from someone, its like pulling teeth trying to get the right info. The drain is about 1 foot down. If we only need to go down 2 bricks deep for the foundations, which of your 3 options would I expect the brickie to do.

i would expect the top of the concrete to be below the pipe. therefore the brickwork could be stopped either side of the pipe and lintelled over.

Is it one of those simple conservatories that uses he patio slabs as the floor or are you digging it up and laying a concrete floor that you'll tile?

We will be digging up and laying a concrete floor.

Thanks for your invaluable advice.

we were in a similar situation and have built a conservatory and have had to move a manhole cover. Builder said building regs were not needed but people on here said they were.

I panicked so paid for building regs to come round even though over the phone they don't need to see work done to private drains running into a manhole unless it is a public drain/sewer.

Paid the fee for them to come out for peace of mind, they were there 5mins lifted the manhole and said you don't need building regs for this so it was money well spent :evil:

steveb 1964,

you did not describe the job as "moving a manhole cover"

the builders and other professionals on this forum are well aware of building control regulations. we deal with them on a daily basis.

it is clear from the above statement that you had described the job to us incorrectly.

ho hum.

steveb 1964,

you did not describe the job as "moving a manhole cover"

the builders and other professionals on this forum are well aware of building control regulations. we deal with them on a daily basis.

it is clear from the above statement that you had described the job to us incorrectly.

ho hum.

move a manhole cover, dig down 5 feet and go into the drain, brick up and make safe which is how i explained it on the other thread

building regs came round and as it was a private sewer they weren't interested

cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back