ventilation in a garage/utility room.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
im currenting have an extension built, garage with bedroom and ensuite above. I am planning to install sink, washing machine and drier in the garage like a utility room. On my BR regarding the ensuite it mentions fan to be installed etc. But no mention of anything in the garage, is this becuase its not a habital room, or will they expect to see a fan, and if so what rate of extract, thanks

Sponsored Links
It would be wise to have one if you don't have an openable window. Also, extract the dryer to an external wall vent if poss.

If your plans say "garage", then the BCO wont be expecting you to install a fan - even if you have a sink.

If you are creating a separate utility area then you will need to fit a fan (15 litres/second extract rate) and when it comes to the final inspection, if the BCO sees this all laid out like a utility room, then he may well ask for one.

But it is possible to have a sink and a washer/dryer in a garage and it not be a utility room and not require a fan!

But in practical terms, you would benefit from fitting a fan in this situation - close to the utility area, and better still have it connected/controlled via a humidistat

Sponsored Links
it will be open to the garage, the dryer will be vented to outside too. I think i will allow a supply for a fan then if he insists on it i can drill through. thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back