Door-hanging bodge wanted

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
I am not much good at woodwork.

My airing cupboard door (lightweight ply flush) won't shut any more, since the new central heating pump touches it.

The door now projects 9-10mm at the latch side. As the pump is near the centre-line of the door it might only be sticking out 6mm or so (I haven't got a suitable-sized straight-edge.

I was thinking of hanging the door slightly out, and concealing the bodge with architrave.

As it's a light door I was thinking an 12mm strip all the way round the door liner, and fix the hinges and latch keep 12mm further out, and moving the stop (which is nailed to the liner).

I also considered removing the entire liner (it is cut-nailed to a studwork partition) and re-fixing it 12mm further out, but I can't be arsed.

Any comments?

Sponsored Links
if its hollow cut out the inner pannel to accomodate the pump
edge the hole with 6mm mdf/ply and insert a new back bit 1 inch longer than the hole
glue the overlap and glue into place
bead of painters mate to fill /secure the edges

or if possible loosen the nuts rotate the pump till it clears the door[assuming you can]

Yes, I would hollow out the door too. Don't mess with anything on the landing side

Cut the recess and if you like, fix some beading around the recess to make it look like it was meant to be.

Even if you just cut a small crude hole in the ply, how many times will you actually see it, down there?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back