Decking and drain access

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm planning to lay a deck in my back garden, however there are a couple of drain covers right where I'm planning to place the deck.

Obviously I'll need to ensure that these can be accessed when required, but what would be the best solution?

As both covers would be quite close to the outer edges of the deck, I thought that I could make two hinged sections that could be lifted, but what would be the best way of designing the frame to accommodate this?

All comments/suggestions welcomed.

covers.jpg
[/img]

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't put hinges on it, simply build the frame such that you can make a section of deck boards removable in block (like the decking square but built in).

You can identify the screws to remove to lift the panel at a later date.

How high is the deck going to be from the ground?

MW

All good points, but ask yourself how often are you gonna need to get to the drains? I have lived in my own houses for 30 years and have never once had to get into a manhole. So, given that you might need to do it att most once every few years, just screw all your boards down and that way you can lift the relevant boards when/if you have to.

Just my 2c

Sponsored Links
You can bet your mortgage that a week after the deck's finished the drains will back up :LOL:

For the time it takes to build a removable section during construction I'd do so, particularly for an inspection cover.

As you say though ... Personal preference and "Do ya feel lucky punk ... Well ... Do ya?" ;)

MW

As above but I'd sugget that you do not make the removable section screwed dow.
by the time you come to need to remove it, you will not be bale to remove the screws.
May be better to use some galvanised bolts, or some other method of locking the hatch there that wont rot/get full of crud.

we simply frame out around the cover and the double up the frame memebers, so the cover can then bear on. We then make a simple cover from the deck boards (use them from the same board in the run, so the grain all matches in) We dont screw them down. It can then be simply lifted when it needs to be. Its almost invisible once done.

Heres a few examples

see if you can spot it on this one!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back