reinforcing ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm new to this but can some one tell me. I am building a loft conversion and want to take down an internal wall downstairs. My question is, can I strap the existing ground floor ceiling joists to the new floor joists up stairs without the need to put in an rsj to support the old ceiling joists. There is no other bearing on these old joists as everything is taken by the new 8"x 3"'s.

Sponsored Links
You could.

But you would need some exotic strapping and a beam in the loft about 600mm deep

Why would he Woody - the new joists will, or should have, have been designed to take a ceiling load as well as the floor, so other than the weight of the old joists - minimal - they will only be taking what they are designed to carry.

If new and old run parallel, nail old to new along their length, with a strap where the old wall was, as a bit of overkill; perpendicular to one another and just use open-back hangers where old run under new.

He's talking about strapping the first floor joists to the loft floor/ceiling joists in a house isn't he? :eek:

Sponsored Links
I think he means the other way around? Or have I misread it? :confused:

::goes to re-read...::

Just re-read it: God knows what he means now! I can see how you got to what you think it is, just as I can see what I thought he meant.

OP can you be a bit more unequivocal in what it is that you want to do??!

And do you live in a HOUSE or a BUNGALOW - this makes a big difference to the meaning of your post!

He said he wants to take out the internal wall "downstairs", so it could also be a bungalow with a basement. :LOL:

I'm sure the OP knows what he means. lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back