Protection from bleaching by the sun

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our front door has glass panels at the top and bottom with a letter box in the middle of the door. In the afternoon, the sun streams in which has bleached the radiator screen and more importantly, the hall carpet. We have thought about using venetian or roller blinds on the door but the problem is that they would both interrupt receipt of mail thorugh the letterbox. Thought about applying a film cover to the glass but it is textured and would show bubbles if the screen wasn't applied correctly. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Richard C,

Would you care to elaborate? Such 'Victor Meldrew' comments aren't helpful unless I know what the ptifalls are or the point that you are not making!

Alan

Sponsored Links
we used to make sealed units out of laminate glass for conservatories and such as the interlay helps to prevent the suns uv from bleaching, we have a mahogany table in our conservatory with laminate glass and the table is still as good as new.
oh by the way i speak from experience as a manufacture before all the sun cool glass etc was available this is what we did. also a lot cheaper than the sun cool range etc.

Richard C,

Would you care to elaborate? Such 'Victor Meldrew' comments aren't helpful unless I know what the ptifalls are or the point that you are not making!

Alan
I DON'T BELIEEEVE IT! :LOL:

Just to keep you up-to-date with progress. I have ordered some UV film from www.omegawindowfilms.co.uk who seemed very helpful on the 'phone (although I had ordered via their web-site and made a 'bit of a cock-up' by ordering twice.)

The total cost for the offending door (well, it is not the door that is offending but you'll understand what I mean) is c.£30 so if it doesn't work, it hasn't been too costly an experiment!

Just to keep you up-to-date with progress. I have ordered some UV film from www.omegawindowfilms.co.uk who seemed very helpful on the 'phone (although I had ordered via their web-site and made a 'bit of a cock-up' by ordering twice.)

The total cost for the offending door (well, it is not the door that is offending but you'll understand what I mean) is c.£30 so if it doesn't work, it hasn't been too costly an experiment!
Do post back if it works, in spite of the sarcasm, I would be interested. It’s just that I have an underlying suspicion of aftermarket solutions, potions & things you stick on; all seems a bit "Beta Ware" to me. ;)

I was asked for an update and do so herewith.

The product was received safe and sound, well-packaged and protected with excellent installation instructions.

I was able to install with relative ease and I am very pleased with the final results. I fitted the film to the exterior of the front door with the result that it now has a mirror-effect and visitors are unable to see through the admittedly opaque glass although it allows similar light to enter as previous. Now hopefully it will prevent fading from UV rays. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back