Fire Door Frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all I want to get an internal fire door to replace an existing door (noise reduction really) but I picked one up and it was very very heavy now I'm wondering if it is okay to fit one of these beasts to a normal door frame or do I have to replace the frame? A builder friend of mine told me it must be a fire proof door frame used but that's a major thing to do which I wouldn't do just wanted to ask second opinion before I cancel the plan pleeeeez :D

Sponsored Links
There is no special "fire proof" frame. If the frame/casing needs to achieve a certain fire rating, then the stops are thickened or made as one piece with the frame/lining

If you are fitting a fire door to a standard internal lining, then you will most likely need to move the stops back to accommodate the deeper door thickness

The screws will take the load of a light or heavy door just the same. The load is mostly downwards and not pulling outwards, and the main thing to have is suitable hinges

Thank you very much Mr Woody what a precise informative quick reply, can you please elaborate on what you would class as "suitable hinges" thank you very much

Suitable hinges are really not the cheap flimsy ones from poundland, but some decent thicker ones.

Also, not the normal 75mm internal hinges, but probably the 100mm ones normally on external doors.

Have a look at some of the BS 1935 hinges at screwfix

Sponsored Links
and its best to fit 3no 4" hinges for a fire door to distribute the weight of the door.

you may be able to get lift-off fire hinges. these are very handy for redecorating etc, as the doors are so heavy they are hard to take off and rehang.

Hi everyone,

Slightly different topic on same subject. I'm fitting some new fire doors with intumescent strip in the frames. Does anyone know if you can paint over the intumescent strip without imparing the fire resisting performance? Obviously at this stage i can paint the frames before installing the strip if necessary but sometime down the line they'll no doubt need repainting and at this point do i have to remove the strip to ensure i don't paint over it or will the paint just come off as the strip expands in the event of a fire?

Any advice greatfully received.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back