Rill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm thinking of building a rill - can anybody point me at design data re what fall over what distance will generate what flow rate?

Also I like the idea of it glowing in the dark - can you get LED rope lights suitable for immersion?

Sponsored Links
I would suggest you calaculate the water by treating it as a waterfall.
i.e how wide, it is, how deep it is (i know it will only be 1/4 -3/4 inch deep) That will tell you how much water is required and what pump you wil need to achieve it (one with a flow rate of that much) You will of course need to take into consideration the height difference from to p to botton)

Also I like the idea of it glowing in the dark - can you get LED rope lights suitable for immersion?

dont think so, but just because i have not seen one doesnt mean they dont exist. HOWEVER you can get them for external use. also called (for some reason) bean lights

I built my own waterfall with a 1/2 hp submersible pump set into a 80 gal.
plastic water tank.
the waterfall is about 4 1/2 ft high 5 falling steps 2 1/2 ft wide. made from flag stone ,it works like a charm.

The point of a rill is that it is a very very gently sloping gully, usually in paving. You only need as much slope as a patio (if that). Never built one, I have to confess, but you could try to make a level gully, and human error would probably mean it ends up with a slight slope anyway! Just joking - just make a very gentle slope.

Sponsored Links
i see in re reading my initial post it does read like i mean calculate it exactly like a water fall, well i do mean that in terms of volume of water required to be pumped, but not in the same velocity as a water fall.

sorry for any confusion. :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back