How much cement for my patio?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Im laying an approx 15 sqm patio in my garden and I have a few questions:

1. I have put approx 7cm hardore into the hole I dug which is approx 20cm deep, but it doesnt seem to be level and sloping away from the house. Will this be ok when I compact. Can i relevel once the hardcore is compacted?

2. How much cement will I need for 15sqm if I can get 25kg bags from wickes? Does it need to be a specific type? Also is there anywhere else I can get it cheaper?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Few things to think about...

I have put approx 7cm hardore into the hole
Is this broken bricks and stuff or proper crusher run?

2. Are you using pre-cast concrete or natural stone slabs?

3. Will there be anything other than foot traffic on the patio?

Generally speaking a 50mm solid mortar bed using a 6:1 sand/cement ratio would be the norm. This would be about 8 and a bit bags of cement and about 50 bags of grit sand for 15sq m

Get your compacted sub-base as level as possible before starting on the mortar bed - it makes things easier in the long run.

Would like to clarify........... Is a sand to cement mixture of 6:1 definately the correct proportion that i should mix to lay as base?

I found a 850 kg bag of SHARP SAND (assuming that sharp sand is the right type) from wickes:

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Aggregate-Sand+Ballast/Sharp-Sand/invt/220081

Using the 6:1 mix, that means 142kg of cement

FINALLY....Should i then compact the mortar layer before placing the patio slabs directly on top?

Sponsored Links
6:1 is the normal bedding mix... and you should wet lay the slabs rather than a dry mix. Don't use the '5-spot' method sometimes advocated by DIY programmes on TV as this is only good if you like leaving voids beneath the slabs and getting potential problems in the future..

The sub-base should be properly compacted prior to the mortar bed being laid. Crusher run (MOT/Dtp Type 1) is good as it has the right mix of fines and solids to form the sub-base.

850KG of sand (grit/concreting/sharp or whatever) is probably not enough as you would only get a 30-35mm bed which is a bit light. 50 bags at 25KG a piece is 1.25 ton.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back